My beginning

|

My love affair with books began with a little old man we all know as:




One of the greatest investments my mom made into our book collection was joining a Dr. Suess Book club. I clearly remember sitting in the corner behind our rocking chair that had an entire bookcase row completely full of his imaginative writings. I would read and read and read. And I LOVED his books!

To this day, you will not find my bedside table empty of books. It will have a stack on it, under it and in it!

I LOVE to read!

And I have Dr. Suess to thank!

As I grow older, I love his writings even more. I love that his books have a purpose and message behind them. And even more, I absolutely cherish the imagination of words, unique illustrations and silliness that each book contains.

Where else can you read books that include sayings such as,


"Today you are You, that is truer than true.
There is no one alive who is Youer than You."

"From near to far, from here to there,
funny things are everywhere."

"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat.
I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

"Big Z, little Z, what begins with Z? I do.
I'm a zizzer zazzer zuzz, as you can plainly see."

Think left and think right and think low and think high.
Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!

And here is a great quote from Dr. Suess himself describing his writing:

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities."


One thing I wish to pass on to my own children is a love and respect for books. And I will no doubt make sure that by Christmas... our bottom row bookshelf will be dedicated to my friend and companion...Dr. Suess!


0 comments:

Post a Comment